Saturday, April 6, 2013

DIY Fabric Pomanders(Pom-Pom Balls)

This is a tutorial I wrote for my project wedding account when I was getting married.  You can see the original post here. They even made it into an article! Check it out here!

I made these fabric pomanders for my wedding.  I hung them up all over the reception and down the aisle.  They are a little cheaper than making them out of flowers if you can get inexpensive fabric. I got the $2 a yard stuff from Wally World

Supplies:
Fabric (about a yard for 4" styrofoam ball)
styrofoam ball (I'm using 4" ones, 3" ones & 2.5" ones)
Hot glue gun
floral pins & Ribbon (If you want yours to hang)

Instructions:

Step one: 
Trace circles onto fabric.  For my 4" balls, I traced 4 inch circles.  For my 3 inch balls, 3 inch circles


Step two:
After cutting out the circles fold in half and put a dot of hot glue in the center of the folded part

Step three/four:
Fold right side over onto glue- then put another dot of glue & fold left side over




Step Five:
Poke a hole into the stryrfoam ball, not too deep, and then put hot glue inside the hole.  Take the pointed edge of your fabric and push it down into the hole.


Step 6:
 I make a line all the way around the ball one way with the fabric and then start filling in the two empty sides. 


Step 7: (If you want them to hang)
Find a good place to be the top of your pomander.  Take a fabric pin and string it with any ribbon you'd like.  Shove the fabric pin into the styrofoam ball and then tie a knot in the ribbon so it will stay attached to the fabric pin and not slip out.

Final Product:
 Now you're done!!  These take a bit of time but they look super cool and they aren't very difficult to make!  Way easier for me then the tissue paper pomanders on the Martha Stewart website!

My wedding colors were turquoise and brown with lime green accents so here are the three colors I used. I totally loved how they turned out and I have now been able to use them in the Lil' Man's room!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment