Monday, March 4, 2013

Rock Star 1st Birthday Party!

Happy Monday ya'll! I thought I would go ahead and do a post about lil' D's first birthday!

Let me start off by saying, I love planning parties, but for a first birthday a party it is totally for friends and family and not for the little one. I mean c'mon how much are they going to remember. I've never once told my mom, "Wow I loved that Mickey party you had for me when I turned ONE" But hey, it's so fun to plan and watch the outcome, so I say go for it!

First off, I knew way before he turned ONE I was going to go with a rock star theme. Sometimes I think you get something in your head and then you are pulled toward it.  Well with Lil' D it was guitars and rock star stuff. I can't even begin to tell you how many "Mommy's Rock Star" onesies he had or shirts with guitars or drums or stars. So I knew then it would be a perfect theme for his first birthday.


So I started out doing some research on the web and found very few ideas for a FIRST birthday. Most people who had thrown a rock star party were throwing it for someone significantly older. So I gathered some ideas and decided to just go for it.

First thing was invites, so I grabbed my good friend Jamie and asked her to take a few pics of Lil' D with his guitar, my empty guitar case, and an "amp" that was an empty diaper box covered in black paper, I drew the screen with a silver sharpie and added some spray painted water bottle caps as knobs. (This would be used as a prop at his birthday too.)

I came home with the pics and designed the invites on photoshop. When I was satisfied I sent them to Sam's Club and got them printed in 5x7's and just bought envelopes for them to fit in! I also decided that since it was his first gig everyone needed VIP passes to get in! So I took another pic and made these...I printed them at Sam's as a 4x6 and then trimmed them down to 2x3, punched a hole in top and added a piece of ribbon. You could use lanyards, but that would've been very pricey.
(I haven't started an etsy shop, but am willing to if people are interested in this design. I can make it different colors as well and add your info. leave a comment if you are interested!)

Next it was on to Lil' D's shirt. I got the idea from Here there was no way in this world that the Hubs would have been cool with me spending $50 on a shirt and hat that I could make. So that's what I did. I ordered the Micheal Miller Groovy guitar fabric and used some heat transfer to make the one and went around it with a fancy stitch on my sewing machine. Then I made the hat with the help of this tutorial...Party Hat tute








I got the idea for our shirts, because Lil' D is our rock star so of course he needs a Manager and Security at his event. I of course was his Manager. I just bought some inexpensive black shirts and white iron on letters and got to work. Everyone thought these were a really cute touch. (I'm big on detail!)





Did I mention I was big on detail?! So I decided to make labels for all the food, cupcakes, etc. and they had to be related to music/rock n' roll somehow! Pic overload...

Pack n' Play with two bags of ball pit balls from Wally World(aka Wal-mart)




Remember I said I was going to use the "amp" for a prop at the party well I set up a stage-ish area for pics of each different family that came that included a mic stand I made out of PVC pipe.  I had "swag bags" for the kids that included cool star sunglasses and tattoos and they got a small blow up guitar. I also printed a birthday sign and put them on old records, but ended up not having anywhere to go with it. So it stayed on the ground...
 So that pretty much sums out Lil' D's FIRST birthday party. I think he had fun, and everyone else rocked the day away.
He had a cake smash photo session with a cake from the store that he loved because the icing was more like whipped cream, this one I made myself so he wasn't too sure of the thick icing. 

I would love to offer the cupcake toppers and water labels to everyone...as soon as I figure out how I will make it available :-) Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I saw ur party as i swarched for my own ideas for my sons 1st birthday bash. You did an awesome job and i wNted to know if u have any printables available?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you offer a print out for the record's banner or the food labels?

    ReplyDelete