Thursday, March 14, 2013

Newsboy Cap Part II

Hello out there! So as I promised yesterday I would show you all how to finish your newsboy cap today. If you are just reading this you can see Part I of the Newsboy Cap tutorial here! Now remember as I said yesterday, this was my first time trying to make this so it didn't turn out fabulous(as in there's no way I could sell it), but it will work and look cute!

So we left off with the brim...you should have placed your hard brim piece inside your two sewn together brim pieces. Now before we attach it to our hat we are going to sew our outer fabric to our lining fabric. You need to take both "caps" and place them right sides together, pin around the edges and sew, leaving a small gap where the brim will be attached to turn right side out.

Now you are going to attach your brim. When you sew it make sure you aren't attaching it to the top of the hat by accident, it will also be a little difficult so go S-L-O-W!
 What I did at this point was tack the brim down.
Yesterday I forgot to tell you that you need a piece of the lining fabric that is 24"x3" You are going to iron this and make it look like bias tape. Then you will attach it around the bottom, on the inside of the cap. Sew around, be careful around the brim, again it's thick so go slow.


Now you need to add the elastic. I used a 3" piece of 1/2" elastic. If you don't have any 1/2'' elastic, 1/4'' or 3/4'' would work as well. I attached one side of the elastic to the one pink line in the photo below and the other side to the other pink line. You will be stretching the elastic that's how it will make it fit. I also sewed the middle piece down, after sewing the two sides.

As you can tell this looks pretty...cruddy. I was in a hurry, ran out of regular black thread and had to use black upholstery thread(which was WAY too thick. But...

it looks pretty good on and that's what matters! When I can hold down Lil' D long enough I will get him in the whole get-up and take a picture for ya'll to see!

Hope everyone one has a wonderful Thursday!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment